Sometimes it is important to know about every single new Canadian case on a particular topic. Often it is best if you know about these cases as soon as possible. This research tip offers an “as soon as possible” option with some creative use of CanLII.
- determine your search strategy (narrow it as musch as possible)
- run your search using CanLII’s – limiting to caselaw from the court levels and jurisdictions you need to watch
- sort your results by decision date
- copy and paste the resulting URL into your electronic calendar, and set a schedule to re-run your search
- keep track of the most recent case that appears in your result (or top five, just to be sure)
Voila, a quick method for reviewing cases on a subject.
I chose to offer this tip with a CanLII search since it is available without a subscription. Both LexisNexis Quicklaw and Westlaw Canada offer notifications of new items that meet search criteria as well.