Lexbox is a free* online service that allows you to set up CanLII alerts that are automatically emailed to you.
To set up an alert on CanLII using Lexbox:
- If you haven’t already done so, create a Lexbox account.
- Go to CanLII and run your search.
- Once you are happy with the search, click on the grey Set up alert feed button. If you’re not already logged in, it will prompt you to do so.
- A box with the details of your alert should pop up. You can rename your search and choose how often you wish to be notified. Then click on Ok.
When you go into Lexbox > My Alerts you should now see the search you have just saved.
If you want to monitor amendments to a piece of legislation, the process is much the same. Simply find the legislation you wish to monitor on CanLII and click on Set up amendment alert.
Similarly, to set up an alert for any cases citing a specific case or piece of legislation, find the document you want and then click on Set up citation alert.
* For the first 10 alerts that you set up on CanLII. There is a cost for additional alerts.