When you create a profile on LinkedIn, the default URL LinkedIn creates for your profile page will end with a jumble of letters and numbers. Yuck!
You can make your profile look more professional and have a profile URL that is easier to remember and share by claiming your own LinkedIn vanity URL. It will look like this: www.linkedin.com/in/yourname.
You can customize your public profile URL when you edit your public profile. Follow these steps:
- Move your cursor over your picture icon (to the left of the Share an update… box) and click on it. This takes you to your Profile page
- At the top of your Profile page and select Edit Profile
- Click the Edit Profile button under your profile photo and details
- Click on Edit which appears next to your current public profile URL
- Scroll down a bit and in the Your public profile URL box that appears at the bottom right of the right column, click on Customize your public profile URL
- Type the last part of your new custom URL in the text box
- Click Set Custom URL
And here are few more tips about what can and can’t be in a LinkedIn vanity URL:
- Custom public profile URLs are available on a first come, first served basis.
- Your custom URL can have between 5 – 30 letters or numbers. Do not use spaces, symbols, or special characters.
- You cannot change your URL more than 3 times in 6 months. If you’ve already done this, you’ll have to wait 6 months before you can change it again.
- Some URLs may be unavailable. If you use a URL and then change it, the URL you first chose will be unavailable for use by another LinkedIn user for several months. If the URL you want isn’t available, you will need to select a different one.