There’s a lot of teamwork that goes on in a law office. Sometimes it runs like a well oiled machine. Sometimes it just fizzes and pops!
So, for today’s tip, ask yourself what’s one thing you can do to take your team to the next level? Here are some ideas to get you started:
- Communicate – Great teams know how to communicate. They make space for each individual to express their ideas, not just the ones that are naturally expressive. They don’t shy away from differences of opinion, but rather use them as an opportunity for open discussion about continuous improvement.
- Prioritize – Great teams seamlessly move forward together on all their day-to-day tasks. They also respond in harmony to urgent matters. They are able to do so because they are aligned on priorities and a method to shift, as needed, in the face of change.
- Core values – Great teams agree on core values. When faced with challenging decisions, how to choose between competing needs or how to respond to anomalous situations, they defer to the values that built the firm.
- Trust – Great teams deal with each other in a transparent and inclusive manner and, as a result, they trust each other. They stay focused on the task at hand without distracting concerns about hidden agendas. They are all driven by the best interest of the client and the firm.
- Mastery – Great teams don’t reinvent the wheel everyday. They master the processes that are key to their success. And they are always looking for ways to take that mastery up a notch, to be more efficient and effective.
So, which of these qualities is most critical to your team’s strength? Ask yourself, and ask your team, what can you do to bolster them?
For more on team building, see the following posts on SlawTips:
- Creating the Team: A Leadership Moment
- Collaboration, Law Firm Style, Part One
- Collaboration Law Firm Style, Part Two
Also see the following team articles on Sandra Bekhor’s LinkedIn blog: