Technology has made life better in oh so many ways. Today, we can even make new connections with colleagues and clients, without leaving the comfort of our home or office.
But there’s been a price to pay.
We’ve become less inclined to get out there, in person. The truth is, it’s just so much easier not to. No traffic. No subway closures or delays. For lawyers, that translates into joining webinars instead of attending live conferences and other educational programs.
That’s a shame because there are so many good reasons to make the effort to show up in person. Here are just three!
- Your phone can’t replace the energy of a room. While, you may hear the same content, somehow you won’t have the same experience. Live is better. Every time. A live program will make a bigger impact and stay with you longer.
- You never know who you will meet. Sometimes the most ordinary event can result in the most important of connections. You won’t know, if you don’t put yourself out there.
- Solutions to the issues you’re struggling with don’t happen in isolation. When you meet up with a group of peers, discussions about shared challenges and opportunities tend to happen organically.
So, the next time you receive an invitation or a newsletter or someone asks if you’d like to join them at a professional event, make the effort! Better yet, be the someone asking others to join you.
For more reading related to networking for lawyers, see these past articles on SlawTips and Slaw:
- Law Firm Marketing: Finding an Online/Offline Balance
- Networking for Introverts
- Networking Online or Off: The Same Rules Apply
Also, see the following related articles by Sandra Bekhor, Practice Development Consultant:
- Finally! A social media group for lawyers that’s actually social. (Press Release)
- Make it rain on LinkedIn
- Climbing the Social Media Tree