For legal professionals working with a high volume of cases, it can be difficult to stay up to date with legal research for all of them. However, with the alert feature on Lexbox, it’s easy to keep track of changes to legal information on CanLII that is relevant to your field of work or study.
Lexbox offers three types of alerts:
1. Citation alerts — these allow you to track the impact of a case over time.
2. Amendment alerts — these allow you to monitor the changes in a statute over time.
3. Query alerts — these allow you to stay informed of the latest appearances of a term or topic in CanLII documents
There are two ways you can set up citation and amendment alerts on CanLII with Lexbox:
a) the corresponding buttons in the Lexbox bar located on every search page and case/legislation page or;
b) the alarm clock icon that appears on the bottom right corner of each search result.
You can set query alerts by making a customized search and then clicking the ‘Set up alert feed’ button in the Lexbox bar at the top of the search results page. For more information on making customized searches, see our previous posts on using operators and search filters on CanLII.
Upon clicking any of these alert buttons, a pop-up box will appear where you can:
- Customize the title of your alert
- Choose the folder on Lexbox where you want to store the alert
- Add a contextual note attached to the alert
- For citation alerts only: Choose the level of a case’s discussion intensity required for Lexbox to send an alert to you. The intensity is measured in jalapeño icons.
- Choose how you will be notified about the alert (within your Lexbox folder, by a daily email, or by a weekly email)
When you are finished customizing your alert, click ‘Ok.’
You can check your alerts, modify them, or cancel them at any time by visiting your Lexbox account.
Good luck and happy researching!