In Microsoft Word (including Mac versions) you can easily create a variety of horizontal lines by typing the following characters three times followed by Return or Enter:
- Minus (-) produces a thin line;
- Underscore (_) produces a thicker line;
- Equal sign (=) produces a double line;
- Asterisk (*) produces a thick dotted line;
- Tilde (~) produces a zigzag line;
- Number (#) produces three lines, a thicker middle line between two thin ones.
The lines will be the width of your page, or if you are using columns, the width of your column. Remember to use these shortcuts to create dividers between sections of a document.