♫ We made our resolution for our brand new year:
No more letting days go by…♫
Lyrics, music and recorded by The Limousines.
So many of us resolve to do things better in the New Year even if we don’t make formal New Year’s Resolutions. Problem is that good intentions die hard. How can you increase your chances for a positive change and outcome? Here are a number of suggestions put forward to increase your chances for a real positive change:
- Start Small: Rome wasn’t built in a day and changes take time. By starting with a small change you can reap the benefits of achievement early and reinforce the knowledge that change is attainable.
- Start with One Goal: If your list is as long as your Christmas gift list, chances are you will get discouraged with the daunting nature of what you have taken on. Change is hard: Don’t overwhelm yourself.
- Slippage is Inevitable: Perfection is an abstract concept. By picking yourself up after a wee break, you can get yourself back on track.
- Choose New Goals: Avoid trying to achieve the goals that you previously set that may not have worked. Giving yourself a fresh goal can be invigorating and empowering.
- Keep Working at It: Change is a process and processes take time. Babies learn to walk by taking tiny steps. But they lead to big things.
- Seek Support: Don’t do it alone. Friends and family can be the positive reinforcement that you need and help get you through a dark spot.
- Reward Yourself: Reward behaviour to celebrate your success!
- Keep Trying: Keep at your new behaviour until it starts becoming part of your routine and personality.
Most of all don’t give up! We all know that change is hard but determination can overcome resistance. You made your resolution for the brand new year; now no more letting days go by!